In 2016, U.S. News & World Report named Denver, Colorado the best place to live in America, and with good reason. Denver offers a combination of qualities which no other American city can, from a robust job market to low unemployment, low crime, an outstanding educational system, and a nightlife which few cities can match.
If you’re thinking about relocating, Denver should definitely be on your short list. Here are 8 reasons why it is the best place to live in America:
- You’ll enter a thriving job market: jobs in Denver are plentiful, especially in industries like healthcare, finance, aerospace, defense, biotech and hospitality, and especially for Millennials. In the 3 years from 2011 to 2014, more than 3,000 new businesses opened in Denver, which added more than 165,000 new jobs—and they’re well-paying jobs: the average annual salary is more than $53,000, about $6,000 higher than the national average. That pushed the unemployment rate to just 3.1%.
- You’ll live in one of America’s most progressive cities: Colorado is one of just 7 states in which marijuana is legal for recreational use. Whether or not that appeals to you, what will appeal to you is the impact it’s had on Denver’s industrial real estate market. The combination of cannabis growers and dispensaries has been a major boost to the city, with cannabis-related businesses now occupying almost 4 million square feet of industrial space
- You’ll enjoy the benefits of a national leader in education: according to U.S. News, Denver scores an impressive 7.7 out of 10 points on the magazine’s “readiness index” (a measure of the depth and breadth of the college-level curriculum in the city’s high schools), substantially higher than the lion’s share of comparable American cities. Higher education is also outstanding, with top-rated schools like Regis University, University of Denver and the University of Colorado at Boulder, each of which scores high on U.S. News’ rankings of the best schools in the country.
- You’ll be safer than in most other major cities: Denver is one of the safest cities in the nation. The number of violent crimes per 100,000 city residents is just 331, one of the lowest in the country and substantially lower than in cities like New York (366) and Chicago (380).
- You’ll be in a city where other people want to live: In addition to measuring the quality of schools, U.S. News assesses how “desirable” American cities are—in other words, how much do people say they would want to live there. Denver earns an outstanding grade of 9.9 out of 10 on the U.S. News Desirability Index, substantially higher than urban meccas like San Francisco (which scores an 8.9) and New York City (which earns an 8.4). The best place to live in America is one of the most environmentally friendly places.
- You’ll get the very best of professional sports: Denver boasts a total of 7 professional sports teams, including the Colorado Rockies (baseball), the Denver Broncos (football—the Broncos have stacked up 8 AFC Championship and 3 Super bowl wins, including in 2015) and the Denver Nuggets (basketball).
- You’ll find great places to eat and drink: Denver has some of the best restaurants in the world, including Fruition Restaurant, Sushi Den, Root Down and Marco’s Coal Fired Pizza. In 2015 alone, more than 400 new restaurants joined the Denver eatery scene, including many barbecue and Asian spots. The city is also famous for its craft breweries, an industry which adds more than $1 billion to the local economy each year.
- You’ll get lots of sun: Denver is one of the sunniest cities in the nation, boasting clear blue skies almost 70% of the time (according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration). The great weather is complemented by a wide variety of opportunities for outdoor fun. In the winter, you’ll enjoy nearby ski resorts like Winter Park, Loveland and Arapahoe Basin. In the summer, you’ll find prime hiking trails in the surrounding mountains.
No city is right for everyone, but Denver offers a lifestyle that will appeal to more people than almost any other city, around the country or around the world. No wonder it is named the best place to live in America. To learn more about Denver, or to explore its real estate opportunities, contact us today.